GENERAL INFORMATION (very important):
1. A student is eligible to take the permit test after 3 days of class. After a student has completed classes 1, 2 and 3 a student will take the permit test. We will then give the results of those tests on the certificate they will take to the DPS to process their permit. The DPS continues to work by appointment only and you can go to any DPS in the State of Texas. With your assistance and approval, we will make a DPS appointment for your student to go to the DPS. At the DPS, the student will have their picture taken, an eye test and their thumbprints made in order to get the permit. There is not testing at the DPS at this appointment. They will also need the following with them when they go to the DPS:
a. 3 qualifying documents: Birth Certificate, SS card, and the VOE/TEA form. The VOE/TEA form is now required again by the DPS as of 9/29/2020.
b. DE964 form from Metro along with notarized forms
c. $16 (cash, check or any credit card) for ages 15, 16 and 17; $33 for 18 years old and older.
d. Corrective lenses, if needed (glasses or contacts)
e. 3 proofs of residency. This can be three different utility bills. These bills will need to have the same address as the one the student is using on their permit. It will not be in their name, only the parent/legal guardian's name. A student can miss class to go to the DPS to process their permit but will have to make up that class. It will be counted as one of their 5 missed classes.
2. A student can only miss 5 classes and has to make up the exact class number they missed. If a student misses more than 5 classes, they will have to start over with the classroom portion again. There are no extenuating circumstances or exceptions to this rule mandated by the Texas Dept. of Licensing and Regulation.
3. A student will make up classes after their original three weeks are over. They can makeup 2 classes in one day as long as they are the class numbers they need.
4. A student has 180 days to complete the entire program, including make-up classes, driving times, observation times and payment.
5. A student can only drive one hour a day but can observe more than one hour a day when needed to make-up missed observation times.
6. A student cannot drive during classroom time and get credit for both.
7. A student is eligible for permit testing after the first three class days. They must have 6 hours of class before they are eligible so if they miss one of the first three days they will not be eligible until they have done days 1, 2 and 3.
8. A student needs to be a minimum age of 15 to get their permit. However, a student can begin the classroom portion prior to being 15. We recommend a student not begin the classes prior to 3 months before their 15th birthday however, a student may legally begin at 14 and a half.
9. Driving times will not be conducted during a student's three weeks of classroom time. Check with us regarding the availability of times and the expected completion date. COMPLETION OF DRIVING TIMES COULD TAKE SEVERAL MONTHS LONGER (especially during peak season times).
10. A parent's or legal guardian's signature is required at registration to take the course.
11. A notary is provided to notarize the necessary documents.
12. Once your student has their permit, please let us know and we will add their name to the list to be called to schedule. At this time, it is taking many weeks to get drive times.
13. When a student begins their driving times, if they are not able to come to a time, they must let the school know either in person or by phone or email at least 24 hours in advance so that time may be given to another student. If you do not inform us, there will be a $20.00 no-show fee. If a student comes to a driving time without their permit, they will not be able to drive and thus charged the $20.00 no-show fee unless a replacement student can be found.
DID YOU ORDER PARENT TAUGHT DRIVERS ED? NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED?
We can help you complete the Parent Taught Program. Call For Details And Pricing 817-282-6263
We accept: Checks, Visa, Mastercard, Discover and Cash